The Science Without Borders Challenge is an international contest that engages students and teachers in ocean conservation through art. This annual competition inspires students to be creative while promoting public awareness of the need to preserve, protect, and restore the world’s oceans and aquatic resources, contributing to the overarching goals of the Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation.The theme for the 2023 Science without Borders Challenge is “The Sixth Extinction.” For this year’s contest, you can help create awareness about endangered species. They ask students to create a piece of artwork that highlights the beauty and importance of a marine species that is on the brink of extinction.
Winners of the Science Without Borders Challenge will be awarded with the following scholarships:
- 1st Place: $500
- 2nd Place: $350
- 3rd Place: $200
- Open to all students 11-19 years old.
- Students must be enrolled in primary or secondary school, or the home school equivalent.
- College and university students are not eligible for this contest.
Work will be judged in two categories based on age, with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes awarded for each:
- Students 11-14 years old
- Students 15-19 years old
A panel of artists, educators, and scientists judge the Science Without Borders Challenge. Artwork will be evaluated on the quality of the artwork, originality, and adherence to the theme. The judges will use a Grading Rubric to evaluate the artwork.
When creating your artwork, you should think about these questions:
- Does your artwork reflect that you understand the theme of the contest?
- Does your artist’s statement also show that you understand the contest theme?
- Does your piece show that you have a good understanding of art and that you use these art elements, such as line, shape, form, value, composition, and color, to effectively portray the theme?
- Is your artwork original, inventive, and shows off your individual style?
- Is your artwork neat? Are there tears, smudges, and/or smear marks?
- Does your artwork invoke emotion for your viewers? Is it striking and memorable?
To apply to the 2023 Science Without Borders Challenge, fill out the online entry form, upload a picture of your artwork, and make sure everything is submitted before the deadline! If you are under the age of 13, your parents will be asked to provide consent, so make sure not to wait until the last minute.
Click here to apply Deadline: March 6, 2023
For more information, visit Science Without Borders Challenge.